Kedarkantha Trek is in Uttrakhand, located in the Govind Wildlife Sanctuary at an altitude of 12,500ft. It is nature’s chilly paradise with the enchanting view of snow-capped mountains. The trek can be completed in 4 days, that means you can soak the beauty of the place into yourself. The place has its own beauty and charm with snow leafed pine trees, small streams, meadows and enchanting view, it is the perfect trekking destination for winters, in summers the place has its own beauty, making trekkers astonished with its enthralling beauty. It is 24km away from sankri.
The difficulty level of the trek is easy to moderate, with gradual and steep ascents. It is at an altitude of 12,500ft passing by Govind wildlife sanctuary. The total distance you will be covering is 10km. The trek will begin from the sankri, at an altitude of 6,500ft. Anyone over the age of 8 is eligible to do the trek and maximum age depends on the fitness level of the person.
Best time to visit
Kedarkantha is famous winter trek, people also consider visiting in summers the place has its own beauty with an abundance of flora and fauna, the entire trail is full of rhododendron trees and Dandelions. Perfect time to admire the beauty of nature. The temperature ranges from 15℃ to 17 ℃. In winters the temperature ranges from 13℃ to 18 ℃ during the day and -7℃ in night.
How to reach
By Air: Jolly grant airport is the nearest airport at the distance of 25km away from Dehradun.
By Road: To reach Sankri, take a bus from Delhi to Dehradun and then after reaching Dehradun take a local bus or hire a cab to reach Sankri.
By Rail: Dehradun railway is well connected with all other major cities, after reaching Dehradun hire a cab or take a local bus to reach Sankri
Level of fitness required for Trek
Kedarkantha trek is well marked with gradual and steep, there are no too steep climbs but in the last few kilometres. Kedarkantha is at an elevation of 12,500ft; as you move upwards the air will become thin and you might face difficulty in breathing so it is always good to take some actions and train yourself before the trek.
The trek requires both mental and physical fitness, for physical fitness do cardio, stretching, jogging, cycling to increase stamina. For mental fitness, yoga is a great option to deal with different situations.
What makes this trek special?
The kedarkantha trek is known for its alluring view of snow-capped mountains in winters and the astonishing and all green atmosphere in summers, the places is a retreat for everyone visiting here, the beauty is something that one you should experience at least once in there life. The trekking route is full of green grasslands, alpine forests, ridges, maple, pine trees and wide variety of flora and fauna. This trek is for every nature lover and winter lover. The experience is memorable and cherishable for lifetime.
Things to carry
Carry winter clothes always irrespective of the season, temperature tends to fall in the night.
- Thermal inner wears
- Thermal inner pants
- Comfortable trekking pants
- Fleece jacket
- Down jacket
- Waterproof windbreaker
- Pair of woollen socks
- Warm hat
- Sun cap
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Waterproof gloves
- Portable charger
- Camera and extra batteries
- Small bottle of shampoo
- Facial mist
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Lip balm and wipes
- Sleeping bag
- Trekking shoes and trekking pole
- First aid box with all the necessary medicines
- Toilet paper
- Do not litter around, keep your surroundings clean.
- Pack light to enjoy to the fullest, walking with ease without any strain.
- Carry all your necessary medications with you along with basic medicines that are required for mountain sickness, motion sickness and other possible situations.
- Consumption of Alcohol and other toxic substance is not advisable.
- Please take care of your own luggage.
- Keep yourself hydrated throughout the trek.
- Listen to the guidance of trek leader carefully.
- Carry warm clothes irrespective of seasons.
- Carry all your necessary documents with you such as voter id, license, passport size photo and others that are required.
- Always carry some go-to snacks to munch upon like energy bars, protein bars and other snacks to fuel your energy.
People with any kind of physical ailment are advised not to come on the trek.
Image Courtesy: secureservercdn.net